Question:
Do i need to salute my cheif?
rutledgemstephen
2010-11-05 09:53:14 UTC
Hey guys so i enlisted in the navy and its been a few weeks. I ship in 2 months so i have an interview with the cheif. DO i need to salute him when i greet him or no? I already have to salute when I enter the office
Four answers:
2010-11-06 17:40:35 UTC
The ONLY enlisted personnel you are REQUIRED to salute is one who has EARNED the Congressional Medal of Honor. In boot camp, that's different. In the REAL Navy, one is not required to salute the Chief.

Navy does not salute indoors.

Since you're not even IN the Navy (boot camp grad) you don't have to salute ANYONE.

Funny story about saluting. I was going to a Navy school, and a fellow classmate and I went to the chow hall for lunch. On the way back to the school we encountered 2 boot U.S. Marines. They saw our gold chevrons, 4 gold 'hash marks' on our sleeves, and our 3 2/3 rows of ribbons each. They both looked at each other as if to ask, "Do we salute?" As we came up on them, they both stopped, stood at attention and sounded off, "Good afternoon, sirs!" We both saluted in return, and I responded, "Carry on Marines. Carry on!"

I love our U.S. Marines!
2010-11-05 10:06:31 UTC
A Chief is specifically a "CHIEF PETTY OFFICER". This is a senior enlisted rank, but not having a commission, he DOES NOT RATE SALUTE.

Furthermore, YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SHIPPED OFF YET!!! You may have signed your contract, but you ARE NOT IN THE NAVY YET! Don't go saluting ANYONE. The Navy will tell you when and how to do it at Great Lakes, I can promise you. As it stands right now, you are a scalywag, a poliwog, A CIVILIAN.

...all it will do if you start acting like you are in the military already is piss REAL MILITARY PERSONNEL OFF. Regardless of how much moto crap you have heard/read/watched already, you don't know anything about how the Navy works yet... thats what boot camp is for. Don't try to treat others (specifically CPOs) like you do.
Beastie
2010-11-05 10:10:02 UTC
Oh f*cking hell... no, you donk, you don't salute the Chief. If you're joining up might I suggest a short lesson in who you salute and when you salute them?
Ingrid
2010-11-05 09:58:15 UTC
C H I E F that is. You will be instructed what to do.