Question:
What can I do to help my husband when he leaves for a warzone?
twogingerkisses
2006-03-17 21:10:43 UTC
I can't say where but you can guess I'm sure. Anyways, what can I do from here to help him cope when he is over there? I plan on writing letters and sending our kids drawings, but what else?
Eight answers:
gilfinn
2006-03-17 21:30:48 UTC
Okay... you've got a lot of good advice there. But let me tell you what the hardest thing to deal with when deployed and you send all your letters and good things from home. Believe it or not, open ended letters. Those are the letters that say everything is great, and I got hurt. Everyone is fine, and Johnny's arm is doing better. Everything is wonderful, the electricity will be back on tomorrow. It may sound silly, but when away from home for an extended period of time, even the smallest thing on your end seems like a crisis on the other. So please take my advice, when you write about what's going on, both good and bad (we do want to know everything when deployed) make sure that he knows, that you've explained well, that all is okay. And please don't send him anything that will melt in the heat. All the best to both of you.
2006-03-17 21:31:27 UTC
I've been in this situation several times.

Before he leaves, make sure he knows that you can handle anything that comes your way. If he is away and he's worried about you, it will work against him.

While he is away, keep him in the loop with what is going on with the family. Pictures (photo and hand-drawn) are wonderful as are cards, care packages and hand-made items.

Remember that he misses everyone, but his focus will always be on his wife. Let him know how he is missed and how much you look forward to his return. Send him something personal to keep him smiling and anticipating his return.
sunnythots76
2006-03-17 21:12:59 UTC
a letter a day seem good. at least you can keep him going and let him have something to look forward to. if he can bring a cassette recorder, you can also tape him yours and the kids voices and words to him.

let him also bring along a photo of ur whole family.

all the best
joustingwindmills
2006-03-18 00:56:36 UTC
Whatever you do, don't pay any attention to the anti-military idiots who are sure to come around and try and tear down what you and he are doing for your country.

Other than that, "keep the home fires burning" and let him know often that they still are.
Richard A
2006-03-17 21:16:55 UTC
U have done enough .. Keep Sendin' Hime Loads of Letters with happy wishes Love u ... or such..
farflemagoo
2006-03-18 11:23:04 UTC
You should read the book Married to the Military.
mooms04
2006-03-17 21:24:21 UTC
Pray, like I do every time my teen leave the house on the weekend nights. You have to leave it in God's hands or else you'll go crazy... God bless our soldiers and their families, they are our real heroes...
2006-03-17 21:17:03 UTC
Hey, feel free to send me an email or IM outside of this if you want to talk more about this subject.. my husband is in Iraq right now.. been gone over 6 months. I can definitely give you some advice and tips for care package ideas, things to do on the home front end, where we are, while he's away, help with the children and coping, etc...

But here's some for now:

Care Package Ideas - Spring and Summer

Spring:

1. Take your kids, family members, friends and pets outside and take some fun pictures! Now that the weather is cooperating with us we can enjoy some time outside. If you have time, take a picnic to your favorite spot, set up the cam corder nearby and let the tape roll! You'll be able to film a picnic and send the tape to your loved one so that he/she can enjoy the event with you. Don't forget to have everyone take a few moments to give a personal video taped message to your loved one.

2. Send a little bit of spring. You and/or your family can take a walk and collect some of the "Signs" of spring. Take a few flower petals, new sprouts of grass, new leaves, blossoms and make a collage for your loved one. No matter where he/she is stationed, they'll love the touch of home.

3. Seeds of Love: Send your loved one an envelope full of heart shaped candy (cinnamon candies, message hearts, sweet tarts) and decorate the outside of the envelope with cute drawings and the words "Seeds of Love". Let them know that you are with them and that your love continues to grow no matter where they are.

Remember! Now that the weather is warming up, check in with your loved one to make sure that it's still a good season to mail chocolate and caramel items. With loved ones in Bosnia and Kosovo, the weather will start to warm up extremely fast. And if you are mailing chocolate or caramels, they will arrive in one big gooey mess.

For specialty candies such as heart shaped candy, try shopping at a local candy store or novelty shop where you can purchase candy in bulk or by the 1/4 pound.

Summer:

Make sure your summer if packed full of fun and excited activities for your family and for yourself! So make this a summer to remember and fill in your loved one of all your fun!

A few ideas:

1. Take LOTS of pictures of the kids at swim lessons, barbecue's, school functions, church functions and create scrapbook pages! Mail a binder and the first page to your loved one. Then follow with additional pages every 2 weeks or when you have pages filled. Not only will this keep a constant mail flow but it will keep him/her up to date on your activities! Don't' forget to let the kids design a few pages themselves!!!

2. Carry a disposable camera everywhere you go (or a handy digital camera). Keep one in your car, one in your purse, one in the kids' back packs. They are about $10 each unless you find them on sale. Put together a collage of things that remind you of your spouse. Have the kids take pictures of things they see that make them think about dad/mom as well as your pictures. Put them together to create a photo essay.

3. Mission: Camp Home! Create a mini camp for your kids at home. Put together a theme and make different arts and crafts, paint a T-shirt, design a door hanging for their room, take pictures, make cards, make folders, picture frames. Photograph your "camp" and send them to your spouse. Summers are a great time to get the kids busy, as well as yourself, and involved in activities that make deployment fly by.

4. Picnic Basket

How about sending your loved one a picnic care package? Find a small basket or box, line it with a linen napkin and include such picnic items as: Juice Boxes, meats (canned tuna, chicken, etc) crackers, cheese (pre-packaged, such as you would find at Hickory Farms), chips, fruit roll ups, nuts, cookies, candies, brownies, pickles, olives, etc. You can also throw in some plastic ants for fun! You won't be able to send him/her every picnic item you have, but it will be fun for them to enjoy their basket while they watch the video of you and the kids.

5. Seed Packets

Have the kids draw pictures of themselves outside. Then glue small flower seeds to the bottom of their drawings and attach a note saying something fun like, "My love for you grows like wildflowers". And also, attach a package of wildflower seeds. You can pick up a package of seeds for under $1 at your local market.

Helpful hints for Summer Care Package Mailing:

For those of you who have loved ones deployed to the hotter areas of the world, as much as they like chocolate, do not mail it! During this weather chocolate and caramel end up arriving in one goopy mess. Brownies are USUALLY safe to mail, as long as you pack them efficiently. However, with brownies being so moist, if they are being shipped to a tropical region, there is always the possibility of them mildewing.

This is a good time to send such items as: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried meats, crackers, chips, fruit roll ups, etc.

POWDERED DRINK MIX!!! This can be a life saver. Next time you see PRE-SWEETENED powdered drink mix on sale, pick some up and include it in your next care package. They can easily be added to a canteen of water for a nice refreshing treat.